µLua DS - Forum officiel | Official forum Forum Index

µLua DS - Forum officiel | Official forum
Le bon endroit pour en savoir plus sur MicroLua et pour parler de vos projets ! | The right place to learn more about MicroLua and talk about your projects !

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    µLua DS - Forum officiel | Official forum Forum Index -> English section -> Homebrews
Previous topic :: Next topic  
x711Li

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2011 - 23:09    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

LuAA is a mobile visual novel application programmed in an open-source distribution of the extensible language, Lua, namely MicroLua. MicroLua is designed for ARM hardware architecture, specifically for an ARM7/ARM9 processor configuration found in the Nintendo DS. Thus, it disallows allocation of memory past 4MB, internally. It is packaged with the compiled (proprietary) ARM7/ARM9 binaries to prevent user manipulation. However, the front-end programmed in MicroLua is powerful enough for user customizability (re-compile all included files using NDSTool -> Pack to compile a .nds file). LuAA placed 1st in the Neoflash Spring Coding Competition 2009, originally named AceAttorneyDS (http://www.neoflash....hp?topic=5557.0), winning a $300 prize.
Sorry guys, this is long overdue (I finished this project 1 1/2 years ago), just haven't gotten around to publicizing it. The attached source is below:

:: Source

It is still a tad buggy (graphical issues), but most of the functionality is there. As an open-source project, I hope you guys play with it and see where you go! I'm unfortunately busy with university now and cannot continue working on this. Good luck! 

Last edited by x711Li on Wed 19 Jun 2013 - 21:43; edited 3 times in total
Publicité

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2011 - 23:09    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Lolman
Modérateur

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 - 00:02    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

Congratulations for the prize.
Phoenix Wright, visual novels; great idea! (Damn I planned to do so a few days ago but I'm really late.)

Good luck with the university, w'll take care of this jewel.

Visit poster’s website
Reylak
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 - 20:28    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

Wait... You're B12CORE? O_o
I will say two things:
– You did finalize your project! Good job! And you won $300 thanks to it, it's even more a good job!
– If I understand well you managed to make a .nds from the Lua script + MicroLua binary? How the fuck did you do that? >_<

Plein d'infos sur le SourceForge !

Visit poster’s website MSN Skype
x711Li

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 - 21:23    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

Because LuAA is designed to be as user-friendly to use as possible, I tried my best in avoiding the use of libraries for compilation.

Instead, it uses an embedded file system for all art, sounds and scripts, and a precompiled ARM7/ARM9 binary for repacking via NDSTool (http://darkfader.net/ds/files/ndstool.exe). This project is pretty outdated, but the source code for many of the applications required in visual novels are there. If anyone is willing, the project can move on with the new version of MicroLua 4, and hopefully this can continue on.

And yes, I am B12CORE. After 3 long years of contributing to the Nintendo DS open source community, I have chosen to stop for a bit (for the sake of university). I will be contributing ideas and libraries here and there when possible but I'm afraid my work here has come to an end. I wish you guys all the best in all your endeavours!

Last edited by x711Li on Fri 26 Apr 2013 - 19:47; edited 1 time in total
Lolman
Modérateur

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 - 22:53    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

Quote:
– If I understand well you managed to make a .nds from the Lua script + MicroLua binary? How the fuck did you do that? >_<

What?!

That means it's possible to make our own .nds games written in MicroLua!
It's not really good for hard memory but gamers could share the game online, or with a noob friend.

Also the code is obfusctaef, isn't it?

Visit poster’s website
x711Li

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 - 23:29    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

Lolman wrote:
Quote:

What?!

That means it's possible to make our own .nds games written in MicroLua!
It's not really good for hard memory but gamers could share the game online, or with a noob friend.

Also the code is obfusctaef, isn't it?

Yes the code is obfuscated.

And yes, it's possible to compile stand-alone ROMs from MicroLua code. I believe I posted a guide on how to do this in the past (1 1/2 years ago) and the creators/maintainers of MicroLua were quite pleased.

EDIT:
The guide may now be found here: http://microlua.xooit.fr/t1046-EFSLib-with-MicroLua-4-6-1.htm

From an architectural standpoint, it involves instantiating the embedded file system in the main C/C++ code. From there, you set up the directives for where the files are placed (in this case /LuAA/) in the main.lua code. I'm not sure if this method is still possible in MicroLua 4 but it certainly was possible in MicroLua 3. This is the system LuAA uses in compiling stand-alone ROMs (took me a while to think up and implement haha)

Last edited by x711Li on Fri 26 Apr 2013 - 19:49; edited 1 time in total
Lolman
Modérateur

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 - 23:39    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

Sounds pretty simple...
Well as Lua can be used from C then homebrews with MicroLua too.

Quote:
the creators/maintainers of MicroLua were quite pleased.

I think everyone still will be!

Visit poster’s website
Fantasix
Modérateur

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 - 23:53    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

B12Core, back in da buisness !

Well, so it was u at the NeoFlash ... Nice job Smile

Blabla compiled Slippery Cave one day, I guess he did the same thing as u did.

Fanta'

BMA News :

Création du Homebrew Storage en cours ...

Visit poster’s website
x711Li

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 - 23:59    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

Fantasix wrote:
B12Core, back in da buisness !

Well, so it was u at the NeoFlash ... Nice job Smile

Blabla compiled Slippery Cave one day, I guess he did the same thing as u did.

Fanta'

Haha, I never left the scene. I just changed my alias to x711Li. Blabla's method may have been similar; since Lua depends on C to begin with, there isn't much difficulty in recompiling the source to facilitate new needs.

Last edited by x711Li on Fri 22 Feb 2013 - 05:02; edited 2 times in total
x711Li

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 03:33    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Has anyone looked into this memory leak?

http://www.playeradvance.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34004

I've checked the source, and it appears that it hasn't been patched in the latest version of MicroLua. Since everything I load is a PNG, this could be causing the ridiculous VRAM overflows I've been having.

Will investigate.

Papymouge
Modérateur

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 10:43    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

i'll take a look tonight. Can you tell the size of your png image and his resolution per pixel and color depth please or send me it. For testing.

Reylak
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb 2013 - 14:03    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

I guess Brunni never fixed this as he's stopped maintaining his lib for four years now...

As PNG is good for about everything, maybe GIF is better if you can use it because it will use less memory.

Plein d'infos sur le SourceForge !

Visit poster’s website MSN Skype
habababa

PostPosted: Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 11:29    Post subject: LuAA - Ace Attorney Casemaker Reply with quote

x711Li wrote:
Hey guys,

Has anyone looked into this memory leak?

http://www.playeradvance.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34004

I've checked the source, and it appears that it hasn't been patched in the latest version of MicroLua. Since everything I load is a PNG, this could be causing the ridiculous VRAM overflows I've been having.

Will investigate.

The leak is caused by ulDeleteImage not freeing the palette.
Since microlua internally converts PNGs and GIFs to UL_PF_PAL8 while JPEGs to UL_PF_5550

, load your images from JPEGs so you wont use up memory for palettes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    µLua DS - Forum officiel | Official forum Forum Index -> English section -> Homebrews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Create a forum | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Cookies | Charte | Conditions générales d'utilisation